I’ve been doing triathlons for 5 years now but I haven’t ridden a roller coaster since I first got pregnant 10 years ago. Last weekend we took a family holiday at Six Flags Darien Lake and after the girls went to bed at 8pm I went out and rode all the high-thrill rides which I love. And then it occurred to me: I have the same feelings before a triathlon race as before riding a roller coaster! I’ve always loved roller coasters and now I finally understood why I got addicted to triathlons – they give me the same thrill! So what is the similarity between roller coasters and triathlons? Here it is:
- When you first see it, it looks like fun and seems like a good idea to do it.
- Right before you get going, you keep thinking “Holy cow, what the heck was I thinking?”
- Once you take the first step (cross the start line or the gate), there is no way back!
- After you get going, you start enjoying it.
- Hormones start rushing which gives you joy and you start enjoying it even more.
- When you are done, it feels great, you feel great.
- So much so that you want to do it again and again